Many old homes in Brisbane still have the original outdated electrical switchboard with porcelain fuses. These electrical switchboards do not meet Australian Standards (AS3000) and could be dangerous. Have you had a fuse trip leaving you without power or in the dark? Usually, this is caused by an overloaded electrical switchboard. This means too many appliances are plugged into one circuit causing it to short.
Fuses are designed as a safety feature but old or faulty fuses can lead to electrical faults and electrical fires.
How do I know if my electrical switchboard needs upgrading?
- Your switchboard is in an exposed location. Often after a renovation, your switchboard will need relocating.
- Your house is old. An old switchboard has almost definitely been modified with more fuses and circuits added. Fuses may have been modified over the years with wire that is now incorrectly rated and unsafe.
- Your fuse keeps tripping every time you turn an appliance on such as a heater or electric kettle.
- It looks like it is in a mess. Additions and renovations over the years by who knows who have left your switchboard in a mess and unsafe.
What are my options when upgrading my electrical switchboard?
- Contact a licensed electrician to organise a safety inspection.
- It might be possible to add a few more fuses which will diffuse the load more evenly.
- The switchboard can be relocated to a safer location.
- In some situations, it is best to replace the entire switchboard with a new safer switchboard.
How much does it cost to replace an electrical switchboard?
Replacing a switchboard is not as simple as removing the old one and installing a new one. By law, when replacing your switchboard, licensed electricians have a responsibility to ensure your electrical system meets Australian standards (AS3000). To do that other modification may be required. Due to this, prices to replace existing electrical switchboards can vary dramatically. As a guide:
- To replace a switchboard and fuse box alone might cost around $800.
- If other cabling, circuits and power are needed the bill could increase up to $3000.
The only way to know for sure what needs doing is to have an electrician take a look and give a quote. Give us a call now for a free quote.